This recipe for Veal Kidney’s was given to me by Montreal’s Restaurant l’Express. Served in a creamy mustard sauce with button mushrooms and roasted potatoes, it’s one of the most sought-after dishes on their menu. The kidneys must be extremely fresh and cleaned of all fat prior to sautéeing. Don’t be tempted to overcook – they are at their most delicious when served rare.
Veal Kidney’s in Mustard Sauce – Serves 4
- 80 ml canola oil
- 120g unsalted butter
- 600g veal kidneys, clean and cut into cubes
- 200g de coffee mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 150 ml Xérès
- 2 Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Olive oil (if you wish, infuse the oil with garlic and herbs)
- 2 French shallots, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh chives, chopped
For the Sauce
- 40g unsalted butter
- 30ml canola oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 coffee mushrooms, quartered
- 1 spring fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh black pepper
- 60 ml de Xérès
- 400 ml veal stock
- 600 ml 35% cream
- 300g Dijon mustard
For the Sauce
- In a pan, heat the butter and oil. Sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms until lightly browned but still soft
- Add the thyme, bay leaf, and pepper
- Deglaze with a splash Xeres. Reduce until almost dry
- Add the veal stock, bring to a boil.
- Add the cream, reduce the heat to low, stirring occasionally. Reduce by 1/3
- Straign the sauce through a chinos or a fine mess strainer. Whisk in the mustard sauce
- Taste, and adjust the seasoning, if necessary
For the Potatoes
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes until they are tender. Drain well.
- Heat a pan with olive oil. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown.
- Add the shallots immediately after cooking
- Keep warm while you cook the kidneys
For the Veal Kidneys
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, heavy bottom frying pan.
- Add the veal cubes and coffee mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove some of the fat from the pan. Deglaze with a big splash of Xeres.
- Add the mustard sauce and reduce until the sauce coats the mushrooms.
Arrange the potatoes in a “crown” on each plate. Add the veal kidneys in the center of the crown. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.